* Make affordable loans to small business and students
* Save taxpayers up to 50% on critical infrastructure like bridges and trains and schools
* Eliminate billions in bank fees and money management for cities and states
* Support a vibrant community banking sector
* Enable sustainable prosperity
The Public Banking Institute is an education, research, and action organization dedicated to fostering a new economy based on a network of publicly-owned banks that operate in the public interest. This is not a new or radical idea - there are abundant successful examples of public banking around the world - but currently only one in the US, where Wall Street has tried to erase the idea from our collective memories for over a century.
Our current private banking system has presided over the greatest concentration of wealth in human history - for elites - while the vast majority has endured stagnant wages, declining wealth, and recurring recessions. In contrast, public banks empower small businesses, students, homeowners, city and state governments, and community banks to prosper and thrive by banking for the common good over the long term, and making low-cost credit available where it is needed in the real economy.
PBI is at the forefront of the public banking movement in the 21st century. We are pioneering something truly revolutionary: a banking and monetary system that supports prosperity for all of us.