The Public Banking Institute (PBI) was formed in January 2011 as an educational non-profit organization. Its mission is to further the understanding, explore the possibilities, and facilitate the implementation of public banking at all levels -- local, regional, state, and national.
PBI’s vision is to establish a distributed network of state and local publicly-owned banks that create affordable credit, while providing a sustainable alternative to the current high-risk centralized private banking system. This network will act in the public interest, using its counter-cyclical credit-generating capacity to stabilize potential credit crises, maintain the floor against threats of asset devaluations, build infrastructure, and fund expansion of critical industrial productive capacity. Most important, public banking will create jobs, by partnering with local banks to fund local business, advancing credit for public infrastructure, and augmenting government revenues.
PBI’s mission includes analyzing U.S. and global financial events to facilitate public banking, sharing best practices and lessons learned from research and initiatives in the U.S. and globally, using PBI’s online resources, website, webinars, blog, and in-person conferences. PBI’s activities include:
• Publication of research involving the U.S. private banking system, past and current;
• Evaluation of existing and historical public banking models, in the U.S. and abroad;
• Publication of research regarding the legal requirements, structure, and daily operations of existing and proposed public banking and financing systems;
• Publication of a semi-annual legislative guide and presentations to aide local public banking initiatives; and
• Organization of public forums that enable state and local public banking efforts.
Newsletter and Website Disclaimer here.
Design for website provided by Lanphear Design.
Public Banking Coalition Coordinator Needed
PBI will be launching the Public Banking Coalition at the next annual conference in June of 2013. You can find out more about the coalition here. Would you like to be the person who is the point person for all matters relating to the Coalition? You'll be working with a team of four other people, all of whom will be doing coalition outreach. We need someone to provide admin and organizational services. Interested? Please contact Marc Armstrong via email. Thanks!