PBI Public Banking Strategy Summit
Sunrise Ranch | Loveland, CO
March 10 - 12, 2018
Background and Reference Reading
The following list contians links to useful background materials and references.
Most of these documents, as well as many others, are also available on the Resources section of our website.
Creating an infrastructure bank
Creating a specific charter for a Public Bank
Addressing the constitutional question
Turning a profit
- Santa Fe: Feasibility study showing how a Santa Fe Public Bank can turn a profit
- Washington State: 2010 feasibility study showing that a Washington State Public Bank would be profitable and feasible
Understanding how banks create money
Examining models of Public Banking
- Partnership (bankers' bank) model: The Bank of North Dakota
- German Public Banks: Sparkassen
- Postal banks
- Special purpose (cannabis) bank (and beyond)
- Infrastructure bank
Understanding pushback to Public Banking
- Massachusetts: Boston Fed's feasibility report - May 2011
- Washington State: Washington State Infrastructure and Public Depository Task Force Report - Dec 2017
- New Mexico: Licensing and Regulations Memo - Aug 2017
Responding to pushback tactics
Exploring alternatives to FDIC insurance, collateralization, and a Fed master account
(Addressing issues of collateralization requirements and whether we need an account with the Federal Reserve.)
- FHLB Standby Letters of Credit
- California: Bill to create a Public Bank for the cannabis industry
- Colorado: Case brought by Fourth Corner Credit Union against the Fed to serve marijuana companies
Additional handouts from summit meeting
Media and social media strategy & pro tips
Reference docs from Los Angeles
Arrivals and Directions
Arrivals at Denver Airport
Hospitality Space at the airport opens at 10:00 am for guests to gather at a common place to await their shuttle to Sunrise Ranch:
- Come to Level 5 of the terminal. There will be a "PBI" seating area at the top of the escalator.
Shuttle Departures from Denver Airport
12:30 First shuttle departs for Sunrise Ranch
2:30 Second shuttle departs for Sunrise Ranch
Shuttle ride is about 75 minutes.
If you're scheduled to arrive after 2:30, or you have delays, you have several options:
- Wait for the next scheduled Green Ride shuttle (970-658-7611) They leave every 70 minutes. Their booth is on Level 5 of the terminal.
- Call Mimi's Rides to Fly (970-391-1650) and schedule a shuttle to pick you up.
- Rent a car at the airport.
Driving Directions to Sunrise Ranch
100 Sunrise Ranch Road, Loveland, CO 80538
Sunrise Ranch contact
Reception Desk: 970-679-4200
Checking In at Sunrise Ranch
Please make your way to the Pavilion at Sunrise Ranch for check in.
If you arrive after office hours, your accommodation information will be posted on the door of this building.
If your estimated arrival time is after 6:00pm, please make off-site dinner arrangements before arriving at the Ranch. The after-6:00pm phone number for hospitality is 970.541.8044.
4:00 First session on Saturday
Sunrise Ranch Details
Alcohol and pot policies
Alcohol is allowed, though not provided at the retreat center. Please make arrangements to purchase what you want and bring it with you. There are local stores, and there will be people with cars at the event, though we recommend purchasing any beer, wine, etc before arriving at Sunrise.
Although we'll be in Colorado, Sunrise is a registered non-profit and must follow federal law. Therefore, if you'd like to partake of cannabis, you'll be directed to areas a short walk off the property where this is permitted.
Cell service / wifi
AT&T has service in the area. Verizon may work too. Sunrise has wifi throughout the building. If your phone has web-enabled service, you should be okay.
On the road between "Devil's Backbone" and Sunrise there is no service. Please give the Sunrise Ranch main number to your loved ones (970-679-4200) if you're not sure whether your phone will have service.
There is parking close to the entrance.
There is Reiki, Massage, Reflexology and Attunement available. Please call the Front Desk to make an appointment. 970.679.4200
Summit Event Details
If you are a journalist attending, please understand this event is off the record. This is a confidential strategic planning retreat.
Social media policy
Since this is a confidential strategic planning retreat, we ask attendees to abide by our policy of no livefeeds or social media posting of this event.
Sharing contact list with attendees
We will be posting a list of attendees on this private event web page. At the end of the event, we will be emailing fellow attendees a contact list with phone numbers and email addresses. If you do not want your name or contact information included, please let Cimbria know: email@example.com.
Daylight Savings Time
We turn our clocks ahead one hour Sunday morning.
Please bring layers. It could be very cold, warm and / or changeable weather this time of year.