Become a team member of PBI's What Wall Street Costs America by signing up below!
The vast amount of money paid to Wall Street by America’s cities, counties, and states has profound impacts on our lives and local economies. Most citizens don’t know about it – they just pay it. It’s a staggering amount: Hundreds of billions of dollars move from taxpayer pockets into private Wall Street hands each year in the form of interest payments on bonds, loans, fees, and financial product costs which have caused:
- School closures
- Lost jobs
- Life-long student debt
- Reduced public services and infrastructure
- Privatized public assets, and
- Stymied local businesses who can’t get affordable funding to grow.
Wall Street extractions from the public purse seriously hurt America’s strength and in just a few years will consume one-third of our economy’s production in interest payments.
WE MUST PUSH BACK
In an exclusive initiative by the Public Banking Institute, What Wall Street Costs America begins a national conversation about the urgent need to break free of our reliance on the costly private financing of public investment. The debt load is squashing local economies, ruining our school systems, letting our infrastructure crumble, and so much more. Once people learn these facts and discover the alternatives, we can move toward public finance of our public needs without Wall Street usury.
What Wall Street Costs America will provide the ONLY aggregated look at our local and national debt costs through an interactive map with data figures and human stories of what Wall Street has really cost America. This project lays out the facts so that citizens can act. Breaking our dependence on Wall Street usury means reclaiming control of our money through publicly-owned, public-interest banks. Join us in taking a stand together.
WHAT WALL STREET COSTS AMERICA WILL
• Unify citizen action across citizen groups to stand united against Wall Street abuse at the local level
• Host supportive educational webinars to help local efforts
• Provide a central campaign website using geographical data displays and narratives to describe the social and economic punishment of Wall Street extractions
• Create new media content to educate and inspire citizen knowledge and action
• Give direct support for citizens to start new public banks that serve the public interest where they live
• Establish strategic collaborations across citizen groups such as social and economic justice, local business, tax relief, education, labor, and many more.
A POWERFUL PLACE TO STAND TOGETHER!
This is your opportunity to push back - people from every city, town, county, and state are invited to share their knowledge and talents to contribute to a large collective picture of America's wealth transfer to Wall Street -- stories that will be told and publicly displayed. You can:
- Become a financial partner to What Wall Street Costs America. We’ll need money to support webinars, the web site, visual and textual media, social media, and widespread broadcasting of this important narrative. Please make your donation here.
- Become a research partner--send us your data and stories! We will share the tales of America's strain living under Wall Street's control. Our stories will be your stories, our database based on your reports. Email us for more information and click here for our online research guide.
- Send us a video or audio! Take 2-3 minutes in video or audio and show us your city or town, explain what Wall Street debt, fees, and gambling schemes have done to your public spaces. Your neighbors will appreciate knowing and the profiteers may get uncomfortable. Email us for more information!
- Don't miss the webinars. We'll be hosting discussions to provide progress reports, news of field developments and opportunities to act collectively.
- And of course, become a member of PBI to help start public banks in every state.
SIGN UP HERE!